September 21

Grade 6 in Full Swing

We’re into week #3 of Grade 6 and we’ve established routines and are busy learning and doing great things in our classroom.

Our first writing task, Summer Sandwiches, have wrapped up and our summer stories are providing the perfect foundation for our first unit–personal narratives. Boy, have we got some delicious and adventurous stories from our own lives just waiting to jump off the page!

Place value is on our minds as we are practicing up to the millions. Representing our understanding using our white boards and base ten blocks and playing the game Race for a Flat have been part of our practice with numbers recently.

Some questions to think about:

* How many minutes are there in a day? In a year?

* How many hours old are you as of your last birthday?

* How old is your dog in human years? In dog years? 

IMG_4548 IMG_4549 IMG_4554 IMG_4556 IMG_4557

Posted September 21, 2015 by MrsS in category 2015-2016, Math, Teacher Talk, Writing Workshop

6 thoughts on “Grade 6 in Full Swing

1. Gabi

Hello Mrs. S.,

Question 1. & 2.
    As of today, I am:
    ◾355,104,000 seconds
    ◾5,918,400 minutes
    ◾98,640 hours
    ◾4110 days

3. Since I don’t have a dog, I calculated my lizard’s age in human years and he’s 3.5 years old. I couldn’t find any information that says lizard birthday years are different.

b. I am 11 years old which makes me 77 years old in dog years.

See you Monday,
    Gabi

Reply
  2. kayla

Dear, Mrs. S
    I was in 2 of those pictures.
    About your three questions I answered two of them but I don’t have a dog so I answered the last one with my age.

Here are the answers to the questions…

1. There are 1,440 min. in a day and there are 515,600 in a year.

2. I’m 10, so as of my last birthday I am 87,600 hours old.

3. I don’t have a dog but I’m 10 in human years and in dog years I’m 70.

P.S. If you want me to explain how I got the answers to those questions in class or on the blog just let me know.

From, Mikayla

Reply
    1. MrsS (Post author)

Well done, Mikayla! It looks like you’ve done some solid thinking about the questions. Have you ever wondered where ‘dog years’ came from? How did it come about? How were the number of dog years compared to human years calculated?
      Mrs. S

Reply
      1. kayla

dear, Mrs. S

I’ll have to get back to you on that one. maybe on Monday, I’ll have the answer to your question.

do you know if my questions were right.

from, Mikayla

Reply
  3. Scott

I am in one of those pictures and those questions I know will take time to concentrate if you want to answer them. I hope you get to see the Summer sandwiches and I won a round of race to a flat, and race to a cube. At home I am gonna ask for a lettuce sandwich with extra cheese.

Reply
    1. MrsS (Post author)

Scott,
      The Summer Sandwiches turned out very well! I really do enjoy reading about your summers and all the wonderful adventures the class participated in.
      Are you a fan of lettuce and cheese sandwiches? I really like my sandwiches on a croissant and with some chicken or turkey.
      Mrs. S

Reply