December 4

Advent

Advent is one of the 7 Catholic church seasons and begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. This year (2015) it started on Sunday, November 29th and will end on Thursday, December 24th which is Christmas eve.

Do you know what the word Advent means? Advent

Well if you didn’t it means “coming” or “arrival.” During Advent we as Christians focus on preparing for the birth of Jesus.

Lawrence OP via Compfight

The season of Advent is marked by a spirit of expectation, preparation and longing. There is wanting a for deliverance from the evils of the world, first expressed by Israelite slaves of Egypt.

The main colour of Advent is purple. This is the colour of penitence, fasting and royalty welcoming the Advent king, Jesus.

At the beginning of Advent we normally put up an Advent wreath with 3 purple candles and 1 pink candle decorated with a purple ribbon or bow around it. The Advent wreath is a circle to show that God’s love has no beginning and no end. Wreaths are made out of fake or real pine needles from an evergreen tree because they never lose their needles and are always the same. This shows that God’s love will always be the same and never change. 

What are some ways you celebrate Advent?

What does Advent mean to you?

Credit to: crivoice.org

Posted December 4, 2015 by noahjv1 in category 2015-2016, Religion & Family Life

2 thoughts on “Advent

1. Aidan

Thanks for telling us the true meaning of Christmas and what Xmas means compared to Christmas, alot of people use it as a short form or think its that when its not, and people should know this.

Sincerely
    Aidan

Reply
  2. Ryan

My family does are own advent liturgy at home. It is not a big liturgy but is very important to my family and I think as long as I am doing it God will accept my prayers.

Reply