A Season of Spiritual Preparation
Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the first day of Lent. Yesterday, Father John invited us to gather outside to witness the burning of last year’s palm leaves–leftover from Palm Sunday. Today, we wear the ashes on our foreheads as a visual symbol of penance, reminding us that we are sinners and we are asked to repent which means to turn away from sin. We heard the words, “Repent and believe in the Gospel”.
Lent is a season of reflection and preparation for Easter–Jesus’ death and resurrection. During the 40 days of Lent we are called to sacrifice. This is meant to mirror Jesus’ sacrifice and withdrawal into the desert for 40 days.
- We are asked to pray perhaps before bedtime and in the morning, or pray the rosary;
- We are asked to fast or give up something such as watching TV or playing video games;
- We are asked to give alms which means to help those who have less than us such as give to the Food Bank, donate used clothing, or even give our time like volunteering.
How will you prepare for Easter during this season of Lent?
Latest posts by MrsS (see all)
- Remember that You are Dust and to Dust You Shall Return - February 14, 2018
- Shrove Tuesday - February 13, 2018
- Third Graders Teach Addition Strategies - February 12, 2018