September 13

My Reading History

We all have a reading history. Today during Reader’s Workshop, we started to think about times in our lives when reading was the best or times we can remember when we really enjoyed a good book!  If we can think of those times, then it will help us to recreate those moments this year, too!

We were asked to think about our reading history. Miss B asked us to close our eyes, we turned the lights off, and she asked us to take a trip back through our lives as readers. She asked us to dwell on a single memory. She asked us things like:

1. What book is being read? What does it look like? Feel like? Are there pictures?

2. Where did this book come from?

3. How old are you?

4. Are you alone or with someone else?

5. What characters do you meet as you become immersed in the world of the book? Are they like you?

Our homework task is to create our Reading History timeline in our Reader’s notebooks. You can design your timeline in any creative way you like. It can take up 1 page, or spread across 2 pages.  You can draw pictures to put on your timeline, or print them. Be sure to include a title. You can see my timeline here in this post.

Students are encouraged to ask their parents for some ideas, too. Two questions that may help are:

1. What were some of my favorite books when I was little?

2. What books did I ask you to read over and over again?

We also watched a video called Book People Unite and saw a whole bunch of different characters we probably met along the way as we thought about our reading history! In the video below, how many characters are you familiar with?

So, what is YOUR reading history? What positive memories of books do you have when you were growing up?

Posted September 13, 2012 by MrsS in category 2012-2013 Posts, Reading Workshop

5 thoughts on “My Reading History

1. Leah Picanco

I am an 8th grade language arts teacher. I can’t connect to the video, but I’d love to have a link so I could check it out. If you could send it to me, that would be wonderful! Thanks!

Reply