April 26

The Traveling Teapot~Our Journey

International collaboration and project-based learning were keeping the students busy in our classroom over the last several weeks. If you were to walk into our classroom, you would have definitely seen teamwork, math thinking, revision, and decision-making in action as the students immersed themselves in what we called ‘The Teapot Project’.

box IMG_2337

Our project began with a special package arriving from Singapore International School. The students’ curiosity was high as they wondered what could be inside. Inside was a carefully wrapped white teapot in a specially made box with pictures on it from Singapore and Canada. We investigated about Singapore, where it was in the world, what languages they speak, etc. Part of the packaging in the box was some newspaper which got passed around so everyone could have a closer look at the language printed on the paper. We discovered it was Mandarin.

Next, we did some research on packaging. We investigated different designs of packages online and at home. Boy, was there a lot of unique designs out there! We discovered the most common package shape was the rectangular prism.IMG_2340  Click here for our blog post on this topic.IMG_2342 IMG_2344

IMG_2341Next, students were put into groups of 3 and needed to plan their own design so that we could send the teapot somewhere new. They needed to think about shape, design, colours, pictures, functionality, durability, and so on. We had been studying measurement and geometry and this was their chance to apply their understanding of perimeter, area, and volume.  Each group measured the dimensions of the teapot and sketched out their design. Next, they had to make a net of their design and make any necessary adjustments along the way. There were all sorts of shapes being brainstormed including trapezoids, triangles, and cylinders.

IMG_2521One of the criteria for the teapot box was that there had to be at least 1 Thai element included. Students gathered their research and learned about various elements of Thai culture. One group even wrote a message in Thai–not an easy feat! Elephants and temples were some of the images students included on their finished boxes.

IMG_2554The students had to present their finished boxes and then they were voted on based on the criteria. The winning teapot design went to Gavin, Stephenie, and Julia! Congratulations!

To celebrate all the hard work and bid adieu to the teapot, we decided to have a tea party and also watch a short video about how tea is made.

If you drink tea, what is your preferred type?

What an excellent job all groups did. I’m so impressed of all the hard work and dedication to your project. Bravo!

Posted April 26, 2015 by MrsS in category 2014-2015, Math, Teacher Talk

14 thoughts on “The Traveling Teapot~Our Journey

1. Noah

Hello Miss Sullivan and class,
    I really enjoyed doing this project because I think its a great idea to learn measurement of perimeter area and volume this way because its fun. I hope we can do more this like this project.

Reply
  2. Stephenie

Hello everyone!
    I am very happy to say that I enjoyed the project very much. I think that the teapot project was a very cool experience to have, because we created our boxes knowing that one would be voted on and sent to Thailand. I’m so happy that my box has won, but everyone should keep in mind that all of them could’ve been chosen.
    Your friend,
    Stephenie.

Reply
  3. Julia

Hey everyone, can I just say this math project is my favourite by far and here’s a few reasons why!
    1. it was enjoyable and unique
    2. the whole story of the teapot project blows my mind
    3. very interactive
    4. we had a chance to build a box from scratch and create any model, design, and more
    5. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

It’s so cool that our group one and I think every group did so good and we all pitched in and tried our best!

Reply
  4. juston

this was fun I might not have bin their when we started but it was fun I’m so happy a bout the tea party arigato .

p.s arigato means thank you

Reply
  5. Gavin

Dear classmates,
    This project was so fun! All the boxes looked great and would work great. Im sure we all had fun!

Reply
  6. chrisjv1

Dear Mrs. Sullivan and friendly classmates,
    I enjoyed this unit on our box projects. I loved how we could vote and have a huge tea party at the end! One of the problems with this unit is that we didn’t get to pick where it was going although Thailand is fine. I enjoyed the team effort and I think everyone did a great job on this unit!
    From,
    Chris

Reply
  7. Jeremy

I really enjoyed this! It was really fun creating our boxes and voting! My favourite tea I have had would be Raspberry Tea. (I don’t know what it is called but it was raspberry something)

Reply
  8. Gabi

Hello Everyone,

The teapot project was a great way to show our knowledge of perimeter, area, and volume. It was a great experience and problem solving activity. I can’t believe where it has travelled (Singapore, Canada, Hawaii, etc.)! Everyone’s box was amazing! To answer the question about tea… my favourite type is mint green tea.

Yours Truly,
    Gabi

Reply
  9. Karson

Hi miss Sullivan I liked doing thes project it was fun i liked how we did it in groups that made just that much more fun and the tea and the hot chocolate was dilish I don’t really have a favourite type of tea but the ones that I have tired which isn’t a lot my favourite one is green tea but what I liked the most at the tea party was the candy cane hot chocolate but I have to say one of my favourite things to drink is hot chocolate. Thank you.

Reply
  10. sydneyjv

Dear classmates,
    I think all our boxes were fantastic, don’t you I think that it was fun voting. If you could choose 1 box because of the design which box would you choose?

What do you think were some of the pros and cons of your box? If we did this project again what would you do to make people choose your box? Hope you liked this project!

Your friend and classmate,
    -Sydney-

Reply
  11. Emma

Hello classmates and friends,
    I really enjoyed doing the teapot project. Just like I said about the modle arms, it was difficult at first and my group made changes along the way. Not only was it it fun duliduing the boxes but I got a chance to know the people in my group a little bit better! All of out boxes turnned out great! It was a great expereance for me and I am sure lots of you feel the same way!
    Your friend,
    Emma

Reply
  12. Tony

Dear Mrs. Sullivan, and classmates,

I really enjoyed this project, it was lot’s of fun, unfortunately our box didn’t get picked, I didn’t mind though, because I think that the group that won really deserved, I really liked their box. I also really enjoyed the tea party.
    If I had to chose a favourite kind of tea, I would chose orange peco tea with milk.

From,
    Tony

Reply
  13. braedanjv

Everyone did a very good job, but all of tham could’ve been improved in some way.
    My favourite tea is orange pekoe.
    (please, dont get mad at me over the boxes, im sorry!)

Reply