February 26

The Marvelous Metric System

When we began our measurement unit, students brainstormed many things that we can measure some of which included:

• time
  • distance
  • speed
  • length
  • width
  • height
  • depth
  • mass
  • volume
  • temperature

What other things can we add to our list?

The metric system uses units such as meter, liter, and gram to measure length, liquid volume, and mass. The metric system is based on 10s, and some of the different measures for length include kilometer, meter, centimeter, and millimeter. Notice that the word “meter” is part of all of these units.

Did you know that there is only 3 countries in the world that have not adopted the metric system. These include the US, Myanmar, and Liberia.

Armed with rulers, meter sticks, and measuring tape, students were busy measuring various items around the class today. We even learned about something called circumference when we had to measure the distance around our heads!

Check out these busy bees!

Check out this video that we watched in class. You may find yourself singing along!

Posted February 26, 2018 by MrsS in category 2017-2018, Math

2 thoughts on “The Marvelous Metric System

1. Brendan

Dear Mrs. Sullivan,
    I really like measurement! It is really fun! I like measuring myself yo see if i got taller or shorter. i haven’t grown since June 2017! Its pretty funny! Do YOU like measurement? I love it!
    From,
    Brendan p.

Reply
  2. kerles

Dear M.S.
    I liked the shopping in the class. It was fun. We got to buy different things with our fake $10.00.
    by Kerles

Reply