November 10

A Delicious Literary Treat!

On Friday, our classroom was transformed into a sort of literary cafe as students were invited to their very first BOOK TASTING event. Book tasting gives students the opportunity to sample some juicy reads in a short period of time and come away with a wish list of titles. It’s a great way to let young readers sample different authors, genres, and series. After all, books are a lot like food—you won’t know if you like something until you try it!

We ‘sampled’ several different genres of books including:

• humour
  • biography
  • realistic fiction
  • mystery

At each table sat a pile of 10-15 books of a particular genre.

After checking out the front and back covers and inside flaps, students spent a few minutes browsing through the book to develop their first impressions. When time (about 5 minutes) was up, students wrote down observations and made note of whether or not they want to add the book to their wish list.

They rated the book out of 10 and jotted some notes about various things including what they thought of the book, what did the author do to hook them, and so on. It’s a perfect way for kids to nibble on a book and decide if they want to devour the whole thing!

Students rotated through 5 different stations in total. Afterwards, we enjoyed some yummy refreshments!

It was so much fun and we all went away with perhaps a few books we would like to read, maybe even from a genre we have never explored before.

Our next Book Tasting will be sometime after Christmas.

Posted November 10, 2018 by MrsS in category Book Talks, Reading Workshop, Teacher Talk

4 thoughts on “A Delicious Literary Treat!

1. owen

Dear Mrs Sullivan. I loved the video, too It was the best one.
    I loved the part when I’m in the video. I hope we get to do it again!
    I was wondering how did the everyone choose a book from the pile.
    From,
    Owen

Reply
  2. mason

Dear Mrs. Sullivan,
    I love book tastings. I also told my mom all about it. My favourite part was reading the books and eating the treats. I hope we do another book tasting.
    From,
    mason

Reply
  3. Mrs.C

Why is it that every single post and video make me cry happy tears?
    Perhaps it could be the reality that my son has the greatest teacher on planet earth.
    This is the cutest, most perfect thing I have ever seen. How adorable with the plates, table covers, all of the treats, and… the cutest thing of all… Mrs.Sullivan as a cheff!!!!
    There really is no better feeling for a parent than to know that your child is in such good hands with such a beautiful soul for a teacher .
    Thank you for being you 🙂

Reply