November 18

Survey Says!

Data is all around us! We use data to learn about what to wear to school in the morning, we use it to learn from our mistakes, we use data to tell us how long it will take us to get somewhere. Data informs us and it can be very helpful in our lives.

Recently, we wanted to conduct our own surveys based on a question each of us individually made up. We were not allowed to ask ‘yes/no’ questions and needed to provide around 4-5 possible answers. Students also needed to push themselves to think of a question they truly wanted to know the answer to.

We were asking our question to all of the grade 3s at our school.

Some questions included:

• How do you typically get to school?
  • How long do you usually spend on homework each night?
  • What is your favourite sport?
  • What time do you usually go to bed?
  • What is your favourite type of unusual pet?

Check out the students asking each other their questions and recording their tallies! Next, we will graph the data in 2 different ways and share our results. What kind of conclusions can we make, if any?

What is a question you would want to know the answer to if you were to ask a Grade 3 student?

Posted November 18, 2018 by MrsS in category Math

4 thoughts on “Survey Says!

1. B

Dear Mrs. Sullivan,
    Math is my favourite subject in school. I love doing surveys. That is one of my favourite things to do in math. Can we do surveys again? I like getting in touch with other people, so I know what their favourite subject or sport or other interest is.
    From B!

Reply
    1. MrsS (Post author)

Dear B,
      I love that Math is a favourite subject for you! Surveys are fun, aren’t they? What did you learn about your peers with your survey question?
      Mrs. S

Reply
  2. Jake

Dear Mrs. Sullivan,
    can we do more surveys this year it was so fun!I loved learning about
    other people.Thank you for letying us survey the other class.
    From,
    Jake

Reply
  3. Lola

Dear.Mrs Sullivan
    can we do survey’s more because I love it so much and I get to know people’s data that I didn’t know before. and I can’t belive that people chose unusual pets like a spider.

Reply