Place Value up to the Thousands
Representing numbers is our main focus at the moment in Math. Mrs. Sullivan is asking us to show numbers in 4 different ways:
- Draw a picture
- Write the number in words
- Expand the number
- Write it in standard form
We use Base Ten blocks to model numbers. In the pictures below, you can see some of our students playing a game called Race to a Flat.
In Gr.3 we are expected to know up to the THOUSANDS place value but we know that numbers can be much larger, of course. We continue to practice how to read, write, and represent numbers up to this place. It can sometimes be tricky, especially when zeros are involved such as in the number 1045.
At home, students are encouraged to challenge themselves to represent numbers in different ways! Roll a dice 4 times and create a number–expand it, write it in words, draw it.
Latest posts by MrsS (see all)
- Remember that You are Dust and to Dust You Shall Return - February 14, 2018
- Shrove Tuesday - February 13, 2018
- Third Graders Teach Addition Strategies - February 12, 2018