February 1

The Stand Against Smoking

The Stand Against Smoking

By: Ella

There are some things I really can’t stand. Some things like cleaning the house, asparagus, and not knowing the answer to a question. Everyone has a list like that. But one thing I really can’t stand is watching people smoke. Watching them inhale that stuff then breath it out again for other people to breathe in. Watching a little kid walk by and cough. I really don’t agree with it. I think it should be illegal because it’s unhealthy, a waste of money, and too addictive.

To start off, smoking is really bad for your health. Did you know that every time you smoke, a bit more tar enters your lungs? You know what tar is right?  That discussing, sticky, black, substance, Yuck! Smoking also increases your chances of getting cancer, especially lung cancer. Most people who smoke for too long get lung cancer or some other disease like mouth disease. Yeah, that’s right, mouth disease as in swollen gums, lumpy tong, rotten, brown, yellow, black, teeth. Half your mouth is yellow…need I say more? Could you imagine having both cancer and mouth disease? Wow. It’s easy to imagine that smoking is also bad for your reputation. What if people started calling you “The guy who smokes?” Ok, maybe I overreacted a tiny bit but does it really feel good to be known as a smoker?

Have you ever heard of second hand smoking? Well, if not it’s what happens when other people breathe in the smoke that smokers leave behind after smoking. When you smoke, you’re not only putting yourself in danger, but you’re putting other people in danger as well, even if unintentionally. After smoking, you just leave the smoke hanging there, and when you leave it in a closed-in space, like your house for example, the smoke just keeps piling up, therefore, endangering the unlucky people who live there. And when living with children, they could be taking on the same after effects (e.x. smoking-related diseases) that smokers take on. For a child, that’s a heavy burden to carry.  So, smoking is bad for other people’s health too.

One of the biggest things you could waste your money on is cigarettes and cigars. And maybe along with that would come a new lighter and a cigarette butt tray. Looks like you’re ready to get started, you’ve got just about everything you need to ruin your life. Not only is smoking destructive, it can be pretty expensive too! And honestly, that’s not really a good mix. Some smokers spend so much money on cigarettes in one month that they use enough money that could have taken them on a vacation. Some spend so much money that they don’t have enough to continue living their life in a house. I mean, think of all the stuff you like, want, and need that you need money to have. Don’t waste your life and money on smoking.

One of the biggest things about smoking is addiction. With all those nasty things happening to you it’s also hard to stop. That’s another big reason never to start smoking. Even if you want to, you can’t stop smoking.  Often, the lucky people who can stop still struggle with addiction problems their whole life, and they start to regret smoking a lot. I don’t see any good reason why people would want to start smoking.

So there you have it. It’s your choice as the reader if you want to agree with me, maybe even carry on the message. Smoking is bad for your health, bad for other people’s health, too expensive, and finally, way too addictive. So, like I said before, I think smoking should be illegal and the choice is yours to agree with me or not. Smokers think that smoking makes them feel good but, is it really worth it?

Posted February 1, 2016 by ellajv in category 2015-2016

1 thoughts on “The Stand Against Smoking

1. RYAN V

Dear Ella,
    I strongly agree with your second reason because I have thought about second hand smoking, and made a connection. i have thought about it when i was in Toronto I smelled it a lot

Reply