December 2

Writing Persuasive Essays!

Hi!

In class, we’re just at the beginning of starting our new unit in language: Persuasive essays.

6/365 Jess via Compfight ———————————->

If you don’t know what that is, basically, they are a piece of writing that is trying to prove your opinion is right, or trying to change someone’s opinion about a certain topic to your opinion. They are different from narrative writing, in quite a few ways.

For example, an essay doesn’t have a beginning, middle, and end, but instead has an introduction, then body, then conclusion. There are plenty more differences, but I want to talk about something else.

I have some tips from previous knowledge of writing essays that I’d like to share…

• Make sure you really hook your audience at the beginning, or no one will want to read it!
  • Your thesis (topic) has to be well planned and you must feel strongly about it, because people would be able to see if you really care, or if you couldn’t care less.
  • Your 3 reasons should fit perfectly with the thesis
  • A rhetorical question fits well in a conclusion helps to get people really thinking about what you have to say
  • All reasons should be well supported
  • Think about this: what if someone had a question or comment that would sway someone else’s opinion? You need to stand your ground and counter whatever they might say.
  • Interesting titles also hook your audience!
  • If you want to say something like: “67% of people…”, your facts have to be correct, and you need to state where you got the information. You can’t just pull a random number out of midair and say it’s true!
  • Be sure to name sources if some of your info doesn’t come from yourself.
  • Make sure it’s clear what your 3 (or more…) reasons are.
  • Use interesting words!
  • Use correct grammar and spelling!
  • Have fun with it!

I hope you find all that useful when writing your essays!

Have you ever written an essay?

What is your topic going to be?

I’d love to hear from all of you!

Please leave me a comment below!

Posted December 2, 2015 by stepheniejv in category 2015-2016, Writing Workshop

5 thoughts on “Writing Persuasive Essays!

1. Ella

Hi Steph,
    I did my thesis on ‘smoking should be illegal’. I really don’t agree with smoking, and there are many reasons why.

Reply
    1. Stephenie

Hi Ella!
      I know that we should be nearly done our essays at this point, but I want you to know that if you need my input on anything, I’ll be ready to help. I completely agree with you. It’s just as bad as if you were to inject yourself with poison.

Your friend,
      Steph.

Reply
  2. Mateo

I like writing, and essays are perfect way to do so.My topic is on how summer should be longer you know,have more fun,spend more time with your family it would be awsome.

Reply
  3. Noah C.

Dear Steph and class,
    We had to write essays last year and it was a hole load of fun.
    My essay topic last year was ‘School Should Have To Start Later’ and it seamed that i have got a lot of views from a around the word, which makes me think that there must be many people hate getting up early for school like me! Once i got my essay back i decided to hand it to the princable praying for a change but sadly the time stayed the same. ;(
    This year i am writing another essay on ‘students should not halve to were uniforms’ because evry year this hot topic always comes up.
    2 reasons why students should not have to were uniforms are:
    -It dose not show individually-
    -it is very expensive-
    From,
    Noah

Reply