February 28

Chop! Chop!

In the spirit of the Chinese New Year, the Year of the Dog, we made paper lanterns last Friday and today we explored chopsticks! We read the book called Chopsticks by one of my favourite authors, Amy Krouse Rosenthal.You can check out my blog post from last year about Amy by clicking here.

The book is full of fun illustrations and a simple message about the strength of friendship but at the same time reminds us how we can learn to be independent when we need to be!

We were each given a pair of bamboo chopsticks and explored how to hold them and tried to pick up something off our desk. It takes plenty of practice and persistence to get the hang of it! Students got to take home their chopsticks at the end of the day.

There are plenty of ‘how-to’ videos out there, but here is one that we watched in class. Check it out!

Have you ever used chopsticks before? What is your favourite food to eat with chopsticks?

Posted February 28, 2018 by MrsS in category 2017-2018, Teacher Talk, The Arts

8 thoughts on “Chop! Chop!

1. Brendan

Dear Mrs. Sullivan,
    I really liked that book, it is very interesting. It was really fun using chopsticks because i barely EVER use them only if i’m playing with them. on Wed. Feb. 28, 2018 I ate with them. Thanks for giving them to us. 🙂
    From,
    Brendan p.

Reply
  2. Evangelos

Dear Mrs.Sullivan,

I love using chop sticks it is so fun!
    I know how to use chop sticks because my aunt is Asian and she is from The Philippines and she uses chops sticks and shes been to Asia.

Love,
    Evangelos

Reply
  3. emme

Dear Mrs.Sullivan,
    I had a lot of fun learning how to use chop sticks.Now I now how to use chop sticks.I never used chop sticks.

FROM, EMME

Reply
  4. grace

Dear Sullivan,
    I had a lot of fun learning how to use chop sticks . When did you learn how to use chop sticks?
    From,
    Grace

Reply
  5. kerles

I love the book because Chopsticks taught me about friendship. I like using chopsticks because it feels nice in my hand. I like to eat sushi with it and dragonfood.

Kerles

Reply
  6. David

Dear Mrs.Sullivan
    chop sticks where a very fun to learn about we watched a video to see how to use them but I didin’t get how and then I got the hang of it and then I really liked using them so I really liked it

Reply
  7. Malia

Dear Mrs.S I had a lot of fun learning about chop sticks and watching the videos. Now I know how to use chop sticks. by Malia

Reply