November 23

Horseback Riding

There are several types of horseback riding. The 2 main types are English and Western. There is also trick riding, jumping and racing. There are also many movies on horseback riding and horses. A few of my favorites are Cowgirls n’ Angels : Cowgirls n’ Angels is about a young girl named Ida Clayton who joins a rodeo trick riding group known as The Sweethearts of the Rodeo. They embark on a tour with Ida hoping to find her long lost father.

A Gift Horse: A Gift Horse is about a young girl named Amanda who is torn by the loss of her mother. Amanda spends time at a ranch owned by a business tycoon. When his spoiled daughter rejects her new horse, Misty Amanda proves that Misty is a true champion.

Dumfries Agricultural Show Equestrian EventCreative Commons License Canadian Cowgirls Precision Drill TeamCreative Commons License Horse racingCreative Commons License Paul via Compfight

Prayitno / Thank you for (8 millions +) views via Compfight

Robert McGoldrick via Compfight

Horseback riding is a very enjoyable activity. There are many places you can go to horseback ride. I personally love horseback riding. Horseback riding can be dangerous if you do not have a helmet. When you horseback ride you must use a proper helmet, bike helmets are not appropriate for riding.

Facts about horseback riding;

Horses have four gaits; walk, trot, canter and gallop.

You must “cool down” a horse after a ride, if it remains hot and sweaty in its stall it can get sick.

Horseback riders have the same amount of injury accidents as motorcycle riders.

Most riding injuries occur during pleasure riding.

People have been riding horses for over 5,000 years.

Once a rider becomes more advanced they start riding without a saddle or reins (what you use to guide a horse)

Popular horse breeds for the natives were Pintos and Appaloosas.

Appaloosas are a popular breed to use for jumping.

When you horseback ride it is best to wear bright or light colours.

You always mount and dismount a horse on its left side.

Have you ever been horseback riding?

What type of riding would you like to do?

Posted November 23, 2015 by katejv in category 2015-2016

3 thoughts on “Horseback Riding

1. heather

Dear Kate,
    I find it very interesting that the same amount of accidents happen in hose back riding as motorcycling. I can see why because horse back riding is very dangerous because of all of the tricks. To answer your question, yes I have been horse back riding once in Banff, Alberta. I would like to try trick riding because in Cowgirls n’ Angels there were a lot of awesome tricks like the hippodrome. I also liked when one of the Sweethearts had one foot on the horse and was hanging off upside down. I learned a lot from this post!
    Sincerely,
    Heather

Reply
  2. Nick

I have been horse back riding before I went in Kinder Garden with my class. I remember my horses name was stinky because he smelt really bad. I’ve always wanted to jump over things with a horse. But I never did I don’t know why, I think I was too busy with my other sports.
    from your awesome class mate/student.
    Nick;) .

Reply
  3. scottjv

I did not know all this information about horses so all this should be knew to me. I would like to horse back ride but I do not know where any horses are. Also I do not know that you had to mount and dismount a horse on the left side. Why can you not do it on the right? Do you have someone in your family who rides a horse?

Reply